Belize High Seas Fishing Licenses & Fishing Vessel Registration
The Belizean High Seas Fishing Licenses and various other licenses are issued in compliance with the High Seas Fishing License Regulation 33 of 2014. All licenses are valid for one (1) year from the day of issue and are always renewable thirty (30) days before expiration.
Here are applicable documents required to be submitted to obtain a license. All applicable license fees can be obtained by contacting our firm at email@example.com, and we could provide an all-inclusive proforma quotation in the matter, including registration (provisional/permanent) under the Belizean Flag; vessel's classification in accordance with Belize's approved Classification Societies; high seas fishing licensing.
Licenses are issued for the following:
- fishing on the high seas;
- fishing in the waters or jurisdiction of another State subject to the laws of that State;
- for all other activities that are subject to license under Section 15 of the High Seas Fishing Act, 2013
Applications for licenses shall be made through the vessel’s resident agent or legal representative in Belize on the relevant Application for License to engage in Fishing or Related Activities
The application shall be supported by the following documentation:
- the vessel’s current certificate of registry (Belizean ship registration);
- the vessels which are applying for an authorization to operate in the EEZ of another country, a corresponding valid license or permit issued by that State shall be submitted;
- power of attorney appointing a nominee or authorized representative in Belize to act on behalf of the prospective applying party;
- signed, stamped and a notarized declaration from the owner, operator, and master declaring no previous involvement in IUU activities and accepting joint liability for any infringement against the High Seas Fishing Act;
- annual operational plan of the vessel;
- crew list, if applicable;
- current photo of the vessel displaying its markings and identification in compliance with the regulations for the marking of a fishing vessel;
- ownership documents as listed here below.
Depending on the type of ownership, the following documents will be required.
- Individual Owners
- name of the bonafide owner
- the physical address of the owner and recent (no older than 3 months) proof of address
- valid national identification card, passport or other similar identification in addition to documentation showing physical address.
- Corporate Owners
- a copy of the certificate of incorporation and where applicable, certificate of change of name.
- a certificate of good standing and a properly authorized mandate of the company to establish the business relationship;
- a register of members or a list of the names and addresses of the shareholder holding controlling interest in the company;
- copies of identification documents of at least two of the directors (if there are more than one) and authorized signatories of the company;
- a copy of the memorandum and articles or bylaws of the company;
- a document that authenticates bonafide ownership and clearly states the permanent physical address of the company.
- Partnership/Unincorporated Business
- In the case of local limited partnership
- a copy of the certified registration
- certificate of good standing issued by the registrar of companies
- In the case of unincorporated business
- evidence of the identity of a majority of the partners, owners of the manager and authorized signatures;
- a copy of the mandate from the partnership or unincorporated business authorizing the establishment of the business relationship and confirmation of any authorized signatories.
License fees will be charged at the time the application is submitted.
Registering of fishing vessels under the Belize Flag is also subject to the provisions of the applicable High Seas Fishing Act, 2003 of the Republic of Belize. The requirements include the filing of an Application Form for a License to Fish on the High Seas as well as the installation of a Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) utilizing various INMARSAT communication protocols (INMARSAT C or INMARSAT Mini C or INMARSAT D+). Fishing vessels which land their catch at ports of member States of the European Union (EU) are requested to comply with a special sanitary inspection in compliance and in accordance with the relevant EU/EC Directives and applicable laws.
- A Contracting Party of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT).
- A Cooperating Non-Contracting Party of the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATC).
- A Cooperating Non-Contracting Party of North East Atlаntic Fisheries Commissions (NEAFC).
Learn More About Belize High Seas Fishing Licenses
- Application Form for Registration completed in its entirety and duly signed by the applicant. pdf
- Application Form for License to Fish on the High Seas. pdf
- Application Form for Maritime Ship Station License duly completed. pdf
- Official document proving ownership of vessel, i.e. Notarized Bill of Sale, Notarized Builder’s Certificate or Copy of a Current Certificate of Registry.
- Power of Attorney duly notarized, thereby appointing a Shipping Agent in Belize. doc
- Letter of Confirmation from the Authorized Radio Accounting Entity undertaking the payment of the vessel’s radio accounts.
Below is the list of documents required for Permanent Registration of a fishing vessel:
- Original or certified true copy of the Power of Attorney duly notarized, thereby appointing a Shipping Agent in Belize.
- Original or Certified True Copy of a Notarized Bill of Sale or Builder’s Certificate.
- Original Deletion Certificate from Previous Flag.
- Copies of all Statutory Certificates issued by an Authorized Recognized Organization on behalf of the Government of Belize including the Fishing Vessel Safety Certificate and International Tonnage Certificate
In addition to the above, all Fishing Vessels regardless of size are required to have on board a vessel monitoring system (VMS) – see fishing vessels Circular FVC-08/06 – Vessel Monitoring System. If at the time of registration the vessel does not have a VMS then owner are granted one month to purchase and install a compatible equipment.
Please note that the relative fees for the registration of fishing vessels are dependent of the gross tonnage of the vessel and therefore can be obtained at the time of official application for registration.
Belize High Seas Fishing Licenses Testimonials
"I had the arduous task of researching how to get Belize fishing licenses and vessel registration for our companies new fleet. After reaching out to a few consultants who ended up wasting my time, I discovered International Ship Registries. They provided very straightforward instructions and information that made the registration process quick and easy. I wish I would have contacted them from the very beginning. I would have saved a lot of time and energy."
"We had been wanting to expand to fishing operation to Belize for over a decade. My business partner and I finally decided to make the leap in 2018 and International Ship Registries came highly recommended by several other contacts we communicated with in our industry. We were prepared for months of back and forth, hours of paperwork, and headache after headache, but it was the exact opposite! If you need help with Belize fishing licenses, these are the people to use!"